Sicily, here we come! Well, not quite. We wish. But here's a terrific dessert that's a favorite in various forms across the island.
Our version includes a sweet, coffee granita, topped with lots of whipped cream. Spoon it together, sit back, and take in the end of summer!
To hear the podcast about this recipe, click this link to find it in iTunes, this one to find it on the aggregator stitcher, or click the link at the bottom of this post to open it up in your own browser.
By the way, the granita recipe is from our book THE ULTIMATE ICE CREAM BOOK. It's the best selling ice cream in the U. S. If you'd like to get your own copy or just check it out, click here to find it on amazon.
GRANITA AL CAFÉ CON PANNA
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups brewed and cooled strong coffee
- 1/4 cup coffee-flavored liqueuer
- 2 to 3 cups heavy cream
1. Stir the water and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Stir in the coffee and coffee-flavored liqueur. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 1 hour.
3. Pour into an 8-inch square baking dish; set in the freezer. Every thirty to forty-five minutes, stir the mixture with a fork, breaking it up into millions of grains as it freezes. Keep at it until you really can't stir anymore. Store the granita in the freezer, covered, for up to 1 month.
4. To serve it, whip the cream in a large bowl with a whisk or an electric mixer at high speed until stiff but sauce-y. Scrape up the granita graints into wine glasses or bowls; top with the whipped cream.