Um, holy moly. This is the first recipe in our match-up. It's an exclusive recipe to this site--and the first-ever look at one of the pairings in our new book, À LA MODE. Check it out right here. We hope the book is on your must-have summer list. But for now, the cookie before the ice cream.
If you want to listen to the podcast that features this recipe--laughs are up!--check out the media player in the middle of the main recipe page, pulling down the menu at top center to find the right episode. Or click here for the podcast on iTunes. (And, um, rate us, maybe, so others can find our podcast.) Or click the link at the bottom of this page to hear the podcast right in your browser.
BROWNED BUTTER GRAHAM CRACKERS
Yield: 16 graham crackers
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups graham flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- At least 1/4 cup whole or low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Oven rack: center
Oven temperature: 350°F
To make the batter:
1. Melt the butter in a small saucepan set over low heat, then stir and continue cooking until light amber brown, 2 – 3 minutes. Remove from the heat (the butter will continue to brown in the pan) and cool to room temperature, about 45 minutes.
2. Mix the graham flour, all-purpose flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl until uniform.
3. Whisk 1/4 cup milk, honey, and vanilla in a second, smaller bowl until smooth. Stir both this milk mixture and the browned butter (including its separated solids) into the flour mixture to form a soft, moist dough, adding more milk in 1-tablespoon increments until it can easily form a not-sticky dough.
To bake the cookies:
4. Trim a sheet of parchment paper to match an 11 x 17-inch lipped baking sheet; set the parchment paper on your work surface. Dust the parchment paper with flour, then set the dough on it. Use a lightly floured rolling pin to roll into a 10 x 15-inch rectangle. Transfer the dough and parchment paper together to the baking sheet.
5. Use a small, sharp knife to cut the dough in half lengthwise without pressing all the way through to the parchment paper—in other words, cut through the dough but not the paper. Slice into 16 smaller rectangles by making seven equidistant cuts widthwise in the same manner. Prick each smaller rectangle several times with the tines of a flatware fork.
6. Bake until set, firm, and browned, about 25 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Break the large cookie into its smaller graham crackers.
Store: In a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.