Get busy! You'll need to get this eggnog ripening in the fridge for Christmas or New Year's. It's ridiculously rich and boozy. We can't imagine anything better.
Check out the podcast for this recipe by clicking this link or listening to the podcast in the media player on the main recipe page.
Makes about 1 gallon
- 12 large egg yolks, preferably from organic eggs or even pasteurized eggs
- 2 cups granulated white sugar
- 4 cups (or 1 liter for a little more) bourbon
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup brandy
- 1/2 cup aged rum
- 2 teaspoons salt
1. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl until creamy and light. Whisk in the remaining ingredients until uniform.
2. Pour into large glass jars--or lots of small mason jars. Cover and refrigerate for 4 weeks or up to 2 months.
NOTE: For a less boozy-tasting but richer eggnog, increase the whole milk to 4 cups (1 quart) and the heavy cream to 3 cups.